Clay Pot cooking is an easy & natural process that will leave your foods nutritious and tasty.If you are new to cooking with Clay pots or have never used them before here are a few reasons you should make that shift soon.
FEATURES OF CLAY POTS
- Our clay pots have a lid that prevents vapor from escaping as it does with metal cooking pots.
- When the clay is pure and the pots are unglazed — nothing from the pot leaches into your food because this is the only material that is 100% inert or non-reactive.
- Our clay pots retain heat so your food stays warm much longer than in other cookware items like sufurias (4-5 hours).
- Cookware made from natural clay improves the quality of your diet, the food is soaked and cooked in its natural juices. The steam that circulates throughout cooking provides plenty of moisture and eliminates the need for adding extra fats or liquids. That is why the food cooked in an earthenware clay pot may contain lower amounts of fat and calories compared with the food prepared in metal utensils.
- The porous nature of Udaka earthenware pots allow for slow and even cooking, while retaining the nutrients in food.As temperature goes up inside the pot, the higher pressure draws in air through the semi-porous walls, giving food the much needed oxygen it needs to stay fresh. This also causes the flavors of all the ingredients to slowly blend together to create a perfect triumvirate of flavors and the effect is deeply aromatic without masking flavors.
COOKING & CARE
HOW TO COOK IN PURE CLAY POTS.
- Our Unglazed clay cooking pots are oven and microwave friendly. Before cooking, glazed clay pot and lid must be completely submerged in water for at least 15 minutes prior to assembling your meal. Doing this absorbs the moisture in its pores during soaking. As the pot is slowly heated, the clay releases steam which gently cooks the food. This prevents foods from drying out while nutrients and vitamins are preserved.
- Sudden rise or fall of the temperature can cause an earthen pot to crack. Always place your earthen cookware in the center of a cold oven, and allow it to heat gradually with the oven. Do not allow the clay pot to touch the sides of the oven. When cooking with clay pots, the heat should be medium or low. The recommended max temperature is 450 Degrees Fahrenheit. Start in a cold oven or 250 D F and increase to the desired temperature after 5-10 minutes.
- When using a gas top, start with very low heat, minimal flame, then gradually increase flame after every five minutes to medium.
- Avoid dry or oil sauté till pot if fully seasoned ie used severally. When sautéing onions or spices in oil, do so for just a few minutes with lid on, they get cooked much faster in clay.
- After cooking with earthenware pots, wait for it to cool down before pouring cold water in it.
- Do not put frozen food in hot cooking earthenware, this will make it crack.
- Never leave an earthenware cookware without contents on a gas top.
- Using a heat diffuser is recommended for all cook-tops, and is a must use if cooking on electric stoves, both glass/ceramic or coil cook-tops.
- Wooden spoons go well with our cookware.
CLEANING CLAY POTS
- Our pots are very easy to clean and store.The best way to clean the pots is through handwashing.
- After cooking, allow the clay pot to cool completely after it has been taken from the oven and soak it for a few minutes in warm water to loosen any bits of food. Proceed to wipe the bottom with a cotton cloth.
- To remove food items, use warm water without detergent and a gentle abrasive pad as detergents may damage clay cookware. To neutralize strong odors, fill the pot with warm water and add two tablespoons of baking soda. Let the cookware soak for at least 15 minutes. Then Rinse the pot with warm water and allow it to dry. Store the clay pot with the lid off allowing air to circulate. Make sure the pot is thoroughly dry before storing it in dry and well ventilated areas.
Please note: Use separate pots for making yoghurt, teas/coffee. However, everything else can be done in the same pot.
Naturally Non-stick: Our pots require very little or no oil due its good absorption qualities.
The more our cookware is used, the faster it will cook your food, all on medium heat or less.
Refrigerator safe: Our pots are refrigerator safe, ensure that the pot has cooled down fully before you store it.
Udaka pottery has a variety of clay pots for you to purchase. To place and order contact us at 0724407711 or visit us at KIRDI Bellevue in the ceramics department. View our products on our Facebook page here.